Salam’s roots were founded by Abdul Salam Mohammed Abu Issa, an aspiring businessman who at a very early age left his birthplace in Palestine to seek better opportunities in the Arabian Peninsula.
When he arrived in Doha in 1950 he brought with him a camera. More importantly, he brought a talent for capturing on film the personality of the land and its people – a concept entirely new in Qatar which captured the imagination of Qataris.
The history of the Salam organization dates back to 1952 when Abdul Salam Abu Issa opened the first studio and film processing laboratory in Doha with the name “Salam Studio.” In 1954 he converted the adjoining restaurant into a gift shop and jointly, the establishment was named “Salam Studio & Stores.” The business flourished. By 1963 the original showroom became too small and a move was made to larger premises. The next ten years saw a consolidation of business, with much travel to distant countries in pursuit of manufacturers and new products for an increasingly discerning clientele. The rapid growth of Salam Studio & Stores accelerated in tandem with the economy. The pace continued through an ever increasing program of diversification and international expansion into the United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Within a few years, Salam’s operations would encompass studios, stores and companies for wholesale, retail merchandise and services serving the entire Gulf region under the umbrella of Salam Holdings. In June of 2002, Salam Holdings merged into Salam International Investment Limited and furthermore, in October 2005, Salam Group merged into Salam International, both landmark examples in transforming family-owned businesses into public shareholding companies.
We are deeply committed to serving the communities we operate in, through structured initiatives.Read More